Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Filling up the Afflictions of Christ


God has powerfully used missionary stories to shape me spiritually, getting me 'stirred up' and seeing our planet with spiritual eyes that God has given me rather than my typical self-centered viewpoint which seeks my comfort and the praise of men, not God.

To me, there's no one better (other than missionaries themselves) to tell these stories than John Piper. I have written about the Adoniram Judson message, and the impact that it has had. Now Piper has written a book about Judson and two other godly missionaries, William Tyndale and John Paton. (oddly enough, Pastor Mike used illustrations from Paton's life in his sermon Sunday), prompting Aimee and I to listen to Piper's message about Paton. You gotta love a wife who says, "let's listen to John Piper talk about a missionary who proclaimed Christ to cannibals!")

For more on missionary stories, you can also check out Justin Taylor's interview with Piper (the reason I am writing this post in the first place) on his new book, Filling Up the Afflictions of Christ. Also check out his biographical sermons on godly men like Paton, Judson and William Tyndale.

So check out one or two of these resources and read or listen. Enjoy their stories and let them encourage you to take part (by going or sending) in the Great Commission to win more souls to the praise and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Let the peoples praise you, O God;
let all the peoples praise you!

Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,
for you judge the peoples with equity
and guide the nations upon earth.
Selah (Psalm 67:3-4)

No comments:

About Me

Here is my testimony: mike