Friday, April 10, 2009

Were you there? Good Friday thoughts


His arrest is not just-neither is the trial
While Jesus is being treated foul, He sees Peter’s denial
He’s sent to Pilate, to Herod, back to Pilate
The violence of humanity at its finest
So now He stands before the crowd doomed to die
An angry mob who’s yelling out “crucify”
The way they treat the Lord of glory is debased and it’s foul
But you miss the point if you don’t see your face in the crowd
This is from Shai Linne's "Were You There?". Challenging lyrics and very appropriate for Good Friday! (click here for complete lyrics.) I was especially struck by the last line: "You miss the point if you don't see your face in the crowd." Truly I was there, in the crowd shouting "Crucify Him!" (John 19:6-16)

I recently discovered Christian rap artist Shai Linne in this article on Sovereign Grace.The article reviews his latest album, Atonement, includes "Where you There?", and includes a link to a video of Shai Linne giving his testimony.

Yes, it's true I'm a skinny white-boy with new glasses that-according to a friend from work-have me looking like the 'skinny version' of Drew Carey, ...

But I love this 'sanctified' version of rap music. It's not 'cop killer' and debasing to women. Rather it's grounded in Scripture and Christ-exalting! Now excuse me while I lay out some card-board and practice my break-dancing moves.

No comments:

About Me

Here is my testimony: mike