Friday, May 22, 2009

Living the Cross Centered Life Quotes - Day Ten


A while back I received a thank-you email from a young woman who recalled her reaction when she first heard me identify the gospel as our church’s lasting passion and priority. She told me, “I remember sitting there thinking … ‘What does he mean? Yes, we’re saved because Jesus died for our sins. But don’t we then focus on other aspects of the Christian life?’”

Meanwhile, under our teaching she began recognizing:

that there was a problem deeper than my outward expressions of sin (harsh words, complaining, etc.) …
I was learning about the sin in my heart and the motives at the root … I vividly remember driving down the road one day, and God opening my eyes to see that I’m a wretched sinner to the very core of my being. In that second I thought, What am I to do?!
Instantly I was clearly aware that this is why Jesus Christ came and died on a cross—for me … I laughed out loud, and said, ‘My God, only You could show me what a wretched sinner I am and make it the greatest news I’ve ever heard!’ The truth of Jesus’ sacifice became more real to me than ever before.

More real than ever before. Can you say that as well? (p 19)

Luther once said he felt as if Jesus Christ died only yesterday. Is that how you feel? (page 20)

No comments:

About Me

Here is my testimony: mike